Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Entry #1: The beginning

In the beginning i was really excited for this project because it gave me an excuse to spend my time trying something new and it's still there. However, I never realized that whittling would be so hard because I've hurt my thumb several times already in the past week. Importantly, I really want to use this project as way for people to relieve stress or anything else negative and bring out their artistic side. Whenever I was stressed, sad, or anything I started to whittle and it felt like each stroke was slowly relaxing me. I didn't have a goal when i started to whittle because at the time i was to sad to care. Eventually as time went by and i calmed down from whittling i knew that i wanted to make ball because it seemed cool. That's what i want others to feel when whittling, a slow transition from the negative emotion to interest in creating something amazing.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/12/12/a-beginners-guide-to-whittling/

I pretty much found this website by goggling "Whittling Guide". This website taught me the safety guidelines and different ways of cutting the wood. It also informed me on which wood would be appropriate for different projects. For my case it was best for me to use Basswood because it's suitable for beginners and the softness of it makes it easier to cut.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=whittling%20projects%20for%20beginners&sm=3

In searching for a visual aid in whittling i thought what better than youtube. I searched it for beginner projects that i could practice doing so that when time came to do my final project i was ready. Although im starting with a sphere, i want to be able to shape that sphere into something with more description and artistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment